For the past 28 years, the Coral Springs Martin Luther King, Jr. Committee, with the support of the City, has dedicated itself to living and perpetuating the dreams of Dr. King. The MLK Committee is presenting the MLK Monument Award for the first time in January 2018. The Award will be offered every year thereafter, at a MLK Celebration event.
- To honor an individual, business or organization in Coral Springs who embodies the ideals of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Any individual who lives or works in the City of Coral Springs
- Any business or organization based in the City of Coral Springs
Note: Current city officials or candidates for public office are not eligible to apply or be nominated.
- Individuals, businesses or organizations may submit applications for themselves, or be nominated by others.
Nominees must demonstrate dedication to the Coral Springs community by giving of their time, talent or treasure in harmony with the ideals of Dr. King.
They should embody qualities expressed in one or more of the Monument quotes listed below:
- Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude.
- Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend.
- Faith is taking the first step, even when you don’t see the whole staircase.
- Courage faces fear and thereby masters it.
- We must all learn to live together as brothers – or we will all perish together as fools.
- The time is always right to do what is right.
- Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
- Let no man pull you so low as to hate him.
- True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.
- We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.
- Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?
- One overall recipient will be selected annually by the MLK Monument Award Selection Committee to receive the award, beginning in January 2018. The Award will consist of an enlarged replica of the MLK Monument with the recipient’s name on it. The finalists will be honored with a Certificate of Recognition.
- The recipient and finalists will be invited to receive their awards at the Annual MLK Luncheon and will also be recognized at a City Commission meeting.
- Nominations for the 2018 Award (whether mailed, submitted online or hand-delivered) must be received no later than 5:00 p.m. on November 15, 2017 in the Community Relations Office
9551 West Sample Road
Coral Springs, Florida 33065
Attn: Joyce Campos.